Belmond-Klemme fans were not sure what Broncos football would look like as the team took the field in Eagle Grove Aug. 30. But the team with only one senior and a handful of returning letterwinners looked strong as they vaulted to a 34-0 lead at the half and won 40-20 against a Class 1A opponent.

  The Broncos received the kick-off and promptly marched down the field with a mix of runs and sharp passes. Senior Jaace Weidemann capped off the drive with an 11-yard run for the score. After missing the extra point, the Broncos led 6-0 with 9:30 left in the first period.

  The Eagles, a team that was unable to complete last season due to injuries, had troubles on their first possession, and punted after three plays and two penalties.

  Tate Sander took the punt to the EG 39-yard line. Quarterback Jordan Meyer tossed the ball to Weidemann who threw to the 2-yard line. Meyer was shoved into the endzone on a quarterback sneak for the second B-K score. A two-point conversion by Weidemann made the score 14-0 with just over eight minutes left in the first quarter.

  The teams exchanged possessions until two minutes in the second quarter. After downing a punt at their own 24-yard line, it took only one play for the Broncos to get on the scoreboard. Weidemann broke free at the line of scrimmage and ran the ball down the field. Another extra point try failed, and the Broncos led 20-0 with 10 minutes left in the half.

  The Broncos also scored on their second possession of the quarter. Starting from midfield, the Broncos were into Eagle territory when Meyer dropped a perfect teardrop pass on Sander who was streaking down the sideline. The sophomore made the one-handed catch and ran the ball into the endzone. The two-point conversion pass was complete, and B-K led 28-0 at the 5:56 mark in the quarter.

  The Eagles nearly scored on the ensuing kick-off. Kaleb Carlson tracked down the Eagle at the B-K 21-yard line after fumbling the catch. The Eagles could not move the ball on offense and turned it over on downs.

  However, the Broncos fumbled the ball, giving it right back to EG with good field position. Once again the defense held, and the Broncos got the ball back after four downs.

  A touchdown by Weidemann, who had worked his way through a lot of traffic to score, was called back on a penalty. But the Broncos did not give up, and ended up on the EG 9-yard line after a long pass from Meyer to Carlson. With only 27 seconds left, Meyer pulled the ball down after looking to pass and ran into the endzone. The score was also nullified on a penalty, and the Broncos were backed up to the 20-yard line. Two plays later, Meyer tossed a touchdown pass. The extra point was wide, and the Broncos led 34-0 at the half.

  The Eagles did some re-grouping at halftime, and scored less than three minutes into the third quarter.

  The Broncos answered back with a sustained drive. After six running plays, the Broncos scored on a Meyer-to-Carlson touchdown pass. The two-point conversion failed, and the Broncos were up 40-6 with 5:17 left in the third period.

  EG scored once more before the end of the third quarter, and also scored with 2:25 left in the game.

  The Broncos were on the EG 15-yard line when the quarterback took a knee to end the game.

 Stats for the game included...   read the entire story in the Belmond Independent.